Sunday, August 25, 2013

What Does It Mean To Be Consecrated?


This week I have really just been thinking about
what it means to be consecrated. I've been reading a talk called "The Fourth Missionary"* (which you should all read, even though you aren't missionaries). It's been helping me change my manner of thinking a lot. I think about the covenants I have made with my Heavenly Father, and the great amount of trust and responsibility I have been given with my calling. It's just hit me that I really want to give it my all. I need to give ALL OF WHO I AM to my God. Not only work my hardest, but give Him my heart. I can't just do all the things that He asks me to do, but I need to love doing the things He asks. I need to leave all behind for now, and just give this mission every ounce of me. I am a literal representative of the Lord Jesus Christ. I need to understand the significance of that calling, and I realize that the salvation of other people is partway in my hands. It is my responsibility now to bring people to the truth, and if I don't do all that I can to fulfill that calling, I will be held accountable for that.

Also, with becoming consecrated, I know that that will change my nature. I don't want my mission to just be a passive experience that I go through, and just look  back and say, "oh that was nice". But I want this to change who I am entirely. I want to become like my Savior, and I want to build firm roots in the gospel. This is the time to change my nature, and I will do that best by giving myself to the Lord. I will work with Him to shape me into the most effective tool that I can be :)

I keep thinking about that scripture that says more or less, whomsoever  shall keep his life shall lose it, and whomsoever shall lose it for my sake, shall find it. The Lord will bless me more than I can ever imagine too. I'm really excited! I'm learning more and more, and realizing that so much of what we do and feel begins in our heads. I am trying to change my manner of thinking and see things in the way that Jesus would. I don't know if any of this makes sense, but that's just kind of what I've been thinking about lately.

*Although I have been unable to locate the full text of this address, I have included an excerpt from this talk below.  If anyone is able to find the link to this talk, please let me know. I think it was by Elder Lawrence E. Corbridge (Cherie)

“So, do you see that the question is not only "are you obedient?" nor is it only, "are you worthy?" Rather, the central question, the critical question is "who are you, and who are you becoming?"

In the parable of the ten virgins five are prepared and enter the Lord's presence and five do not. Why does the Lord choose to use the metaphor of "virgins" in this particular parable? Why not ten maids, or ten servants? Why virgins? It is the only time that He employs the characterization of "virgins" in a parable. Is there a reason?

What does virginity imply? Purity. There were ten worthy, pure maidens and yet five did not enter His presence, despite their worthiness. Why not? He said to them: "Verily I say unto you, I know you not." (Matthew 25:12)

Do not misunderstand; obedience and worthiness are crucial, absolutely essential. Worthiness or purity is a quality of godliness, but it is only one quality of godliness. It is not the whole of it. The question may not be merely "are you worthy, pure and clean?" It may not be only "have you been forgiven of your sins?" It may not even be only "were you obedient?" The central question is more likely to be: "Who are you?" Who are you and who are you becoming?” 
 
Mesa Temple

(Email 8-13-13)

No comments:

Post a Comment